Monday, June 8, 2015

Day 9: Happy Birthday Anniversary (May 24)

Today, Today, it's today!!

I'm up, turn my head to focus my still waking eyes, and smile.  5 years ago Travis and I went to the fine city of Santa Barbara, to elope in the presence of a very sweet justice of the peace lady.  No fanfare, no pressure, no bullocks.  Just he and I, promising to be kind, supportive and loving until we perish in a fiery montage of metal music.  

For me, I can't say it's one of the best days of my life because that would mean the others aren't as special.  It's a turning point in any relationship, sure, but to single it out doesn't feel right.  It's a momentous event on a calendar we both have access to.  Don't get me wrong, I love that x 1,000,000.  And I love remembering being so concerned we'd be late, like the window of marriage would somehow close on us if we didn't make that appointment.  {ahem, they're open all day}  And it makes me happy knowing we walked away from that beautiful courthouse, radiating the biggest smiles inside and out.  That day.  That day prospers the anticipation for making the rest of our time together, the ultimate tops.

*******

It's our last day on Maui and we need to pack up our haul.  Not a bunch of junky souvenirs, mostly scruffled dirty clothes, muddy shoes, and the occasional outfit I shouldn't have brought.  Travis kindly offers to help, but the limited square footage requires a delicate hand of Tetris.  I can't tag team him in.  This shoe here, that sock stuffed there... it all has to work properly, otherwise shit's gettin' left.

While stowing the few food items we did acquire, I realized there hasn't been much I've wanted to buy.  No shirts, hats, magnets, poi, towels, bangly wooden windchimes or hard knockered coconut bikinis.  I'm pretty sure I've become a huge skeptic for buying because I know who they're catering too - and it's not me.  For all the things that appear to be "small batch / local / handmade / only get here / don't you dare look on Amazon," they aren't.  And that bums me out.  Most visitors wouldn't venture into the actual parts of town to find that shop the locals love.  But we do and that's where I want to spend my business.  Yet I'm finding it extra hard in a place that thrives on the dollars of cheaply sandaled haoles...



THE EATS:  Say no more - Slappy Cakes! Slappy Cakes!  Slappy Cakes!  Slappy Cakes is a trippy pancake & bar house, where you make customizable flapjacks at your own personal griddle station!  Before we left, I told Travis one of the few things I wanted on this trip was a lovely pancake breakfast on our anniversary.  I don't eat them often but if there was gonna be a day, this would be it!

So. Good.




**

Nobu for our actual anniversary dinner and not the pretend one we thought was may 20, which was also extra lovely!  Travis arranged for a swell view, overlooking the pool & ocean.  They offered me a fantastic array of veggie options, including clay rubbed tofu & succulent brussel sprouts.  mmmmmmmmmmm.  For dessert, I ordered the Nobulito souflee (not really labeled that.)  Chocolately and delicious, with secret taro ice cream!  Oddly enough, they got every other detail right of our reservation, yet wrote Happy Birthday! in chocolate on my treat.  oops.  But I didn't mind... WARM CHOCO GOO!





THE STUFF BEFORE LANA'I:  Instead of a stressful 30 minute flight to Lana'i, we chose to take an easy, peasy ferry.  It left from Lahaina, the same Lahaina we pooped around in yesterday.  But having an hour before the ship set sail, gave us pooping around today time, too!  We had the opportunity to walk down the other side of the street.  Here is what we saw.

Not enough hilarity to take us back across the street to Mick's though...





THE RELAXING ISLAND OF LANA'I:  Oh Lana'i... you are special.  I felt that when we arrived and it lasted until we set foot back on Oahu... <3


...Classy Clarks' bring their own food for the stay.



first look at Lana'i.  Starspeeder engage!



THE FINAL HOME:  We got a great deal on booking the 4 Seasons, which other than the small mom & poppy place in town, is the only other resort on Lana'i.  I'd never had an employee greet us by name before, who also happened to have our complete itinerary at the ready.  It felt like we were playing extra dressup and I was ok with it.  The balcony looked like a giant TV picture window; our travel agent arranged for a special anniversary welcome dessert; THE FISH LIT UP when you pushed the control buttons for the lights because everything worked on gizmos; giant actual TV; bar stocked with good wine and fancy glasses I could only imagine cost more than my Fiat's lease; the toilet... the toilet lifts up when you walk near, heats when you sit for a while and has all kinds of goofy buttons.

This will do just fine...








No comments:

Post a Comment