Tuesday, April 21, 2015

A Biscuit To Share

I've spent the last few weeks researching and mildly educating myself on the best ingredients to use for homemade dog treats.  Preferably vegan, really trying for gluten free though.  It turns out many doggies, like humanoids, find digesting wheats & gluten ruff.  So it became a purposeful challenge: find simple ingredients, a recipe that tasted good and one I could make en mass.  I wanted any puppy parents who came to Leroy and Bentley's Birthday Pawty to have a thank you take away.  Some might call it a doggy bag.  But without knowing the personal dietary needs for 12 pups, I had to err on the side of caution.

There were some pretty awful experiments and several times I had to drop it in the trash, but I eventually found this recipe to use as my platform.  A Peanut Butter, Banana and honey piece of goodness.  After a few versions, I knew I wanted to incorporate more banana flavor and less honey/flour.  So I hitched up my non-graduating culinary school pants and I set out to make a better batter.

What I developed was a delicious bite-sized treat, that not only Leroy loved, but I did too!  Travis found me sitting at our dining table, poppin' these gems, in order to um, make sure they were ok.  Seriously, they became 30 calorie marvels made even better with jam!  I knew this was a winner, winner, chicken dinner.

Enjoy alone or with furiends.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


My version (makes 24-36 small cookies)
  • 1 1/4 ripe banana
  • 1/4c peanut butter
  • 1Tbsp + 1tsp honey
  • 1/2 - 1tsp cinnamon (optional, ratio based on preference)
  • 1 1/4c gluten free flour (I used Bob's) 
  1. Preheat over to 350
  2. Line a baking sheet with parchment or Silpat.  Skip if using a silicone bake mold
  3. Starting with the banana, mix ingredients together one at a time, incorporating well after each
  4. (Optional) Refrigerate dough 10-15 minutes, to reduce stickyness
  5. Roll dough into 1/2 inch balls, flattening down with a fork.  Or stuff into silicone bake mold
  6. Bake 12-15 minutes, depending on size


No comments:

Post a Comment