Friday, August 8, 2014

Anti-Twenties: Good Idea, Bad Idea

Last night was a treat because Travis stayed home instead of seeing his comedy spouses.  I'm not jealous because (a) most are men and he swings the lady door, (b) it's what he's pursuing and (c) so far, they aren't a wedge in our relationship.  But if those cows ever do... shakes fist.  I truly love when he's home since we don't spend as much time together as we'd like.  We heart spending most of our time together and I'm lucky for that.  But in as much as we love the idea, we both don't always know how to behave.  Not like we're staring at the floor awkward, but when he's out I can watch stupid TV and read.  When he's out, he's doing his comedy things around town.  It's separate spaces that when combined, you have to ask and be considerate.  But we made our way through and decided to watch the documentary Twenty Feet from Stardom, Daily Show and Colbert.  Play with puppy and battle via Ticket to Ride: Fast Track or some such (an app on our phones.)
 
I've mentioned before how when Trav and I moved in together, we combined CDs, food, bank accounts and two tempurpedic mattresses.  This extra mattress is great for the few guests we have, but too big to combine into some super mega awesome bed.  I lugged it out when we had friends stay a month ago.  I haven't put it back yet because Leroy loves to run and jump onto it.  He'll leap off a pillow onto the bed, like it's home plate.  When he runs to chase the squirrels he leaps off the brick and bounds onto the grass and tells them what's up.  It's really the cutest fucking thing.

"And here's the pitch of Leroy's favorite hedgiehog.  Bop.  It's really out there folks, flew all the way to the door!  He's running... a quick slide into the wall, and he's grabbed the toy.  voice speeds up.  Leroy stops only for a second, birds and germs.  He's heading back now.  You can see the determination in his eyes... AND A GIANT LEAP FROM THE RUG, all the way to the middle of the bed... HE'S SAFE!  HE'S SAFE!  HE'S LANDED HOME and the crowd jumps outta there seats!!!!!!!"  You know how this goes.

Last night Trav was playing the game with Leroy and as I watched, remembered something I used to do as a kid.  I had this strange obsession with practicing alternative means of living, should I become incapable of something.  I used to practice writing with my left hand in case I broke my right.  I used to practice walking on crutches or with a cane, in case one side suddenly stopped working.  And I used to practice falling down, wait for it, in case I needed to fool some baddies into thinking I was dead.  wow.

As I snapped back from space, I saw they were done.  I silently walked over to the mattress, stood in front of it with arms crossed over my chest, and looked at Travis.  I asked him if falling forward without moving was called a deadfall.  He said "No."  I said "You know when stunt people fall, they have to call that a name."  He laughed, but didn't know.  He asked what I was trying to do, so I kept explaining I wanted to fall straight forward, without moving.  Stiff as a board like...

I know my neck tweaked, but I don't feel it there.  I feel it around the Thoracic T5 area.  I used a heat pad last night and it's better today, but still stiff.  What a bozo I feel like, but I fucking committed!


Good Idea was spending time with Travis playing Ticket to Ride.
Bad Idea was thinking falling forward onto a cushiony, but rigid bed, with no experience, when I'm not 7, was a Good Idea.




Trav has this great way of observing and beautifully illustrating both my silly and poor choices in life.  It's why he's talented and does what he does.  He takes a jumbled mess and puts each piece back, in exactly the right way.  Spine and all.

And he's my guy because of it.


No comments:

Post a Comment