Monday, August 17, 2015

Construction Juntion: The Lady Doth Expose Herself

It's been 3 1/2 years since we purchased the house, knowing the roof was the top half achilles heal; the bottom half the yard.  And today she'll undergo major surgery as we rip off the head!

You may think pffft, it's a roof.  who cares.  But picture each time it rains, the potential for the water that should remain outside, comes inside and you look around and think of all the damage something so precious can do and because fuck off California needs it desperately.  You want but don't want.  And this week marks the transition from don't want to WANT.  But WANT it all in the ways I hope it's normal environmental rain and not the scary climate change rain, which we know is happening and that makes me furious and yet in my own way I'm helping by choosing materials that support sustainability rather than pollution, ok.

At this moment the contractors are starting to peel back the dusty layers, revealing what sexy undercarriage has been waiting to breathe.  I hope it's pretty and only marginally smelly.  Noisy as all get up though, which should be fun as I work from home this week.  I hear lots of clanging and what I'm 100% convinced to be a tiny roller coaster, but they are testing the tracks so there's no teensy people screaming and putting their hands up.

~~~~~

Funny, although I'm beyond excited for the work this week, I honestly thought the entire job would be done by now.  That skewed expectation of time is another bummer lesson I've now fully learned.  Have a plan, but expect delays.  It's a bummer, but not the huge disappointment I once would have felt.  Which is pretty swell, but almost to a point that seems wrong.  Like my mind is trying to instigate chaos by hinting I should be feeling something I'm not.  silly right?  I am quite proud that shift in energy happened months ago because as I sit here alone in the house, with the drills and the pounding and the worrying about my citrus trees - the anxiousness is completely manageable.  Normally Travis is the calming voice of reason when I need it, but he's taken puppy to his parents for both their comfortability.  And I feel beyond ok, even though it's just me, some dudes & my project management skillity skillz.  Doesn't mean I'll stop fantasizing about the home equity account being empty, the drought beautiful plants & vegetables buzzing with bloom and cold ice tea sliding down our guzzlets.  It's just means I'm cucumber cool with chilling that vision short term.

UPDATES, HOW FUN!!!  At 9:32am I found out the lead roofer called in sick and the coordinator sent an email but I never received it and thus, I'm a calmly workin' gherkin.

~~~~~

BUT NEW BLACK METAL ROOF! just not starting today.  \m/





No comments:

Post a Comment