Monday, July 21, 2014

Name. That. Smell!

I can name that smell in like 17 hours.  maybe.  And that smell I'm referring to is the one emanating from our new 1960s credenza, courtesy of the Broyhill Brasilia collection.  Don't be mistaken, the lingering stench in my nose is not because the piece was created more years ago than I; but rather because it surprised me with funk, and gunk, and bugs.  MUCH more than I ever thought was possible in something that isn't that large.  Even with all this cleaning ahead, we still got a great deal.  So that helps.  hopefully.

A few weeks back, our 7 year old TV started heading towards Kaput Ave.  Well, actually, it started canvassing the neighborhood a couple years back when LCD red & blue lines started appearing on certain programs.  Then, when Travis was on his comedy road slip, giant blocks were now being eliminated.  I suggested we get a new one during every store USA's 4th of July sale.  GooooOOOOO freedom!

We did our research and settled on a 55", 4K, 3D TV with the what's-its and whooze-its, and apps.  get off my lawn.  I don't know all about it but it was new, cheaper than our current set and looked darn good.  On our way to checkout, I suggested we get a fancy wall mount since that's what grown-ups have, but Trav informed me the installation is massively complicated.  He suggested instead a vintage piece of furniture for the same price as the wall mount.  OK!!  We've been talking about that for a while and if in the future we get that wall mount, we'll still have another brilliant find.

After we brought the set home, I went to work finding a piece that would be both hawesome and functional.  A credenza or buffet, from the mid-century era has always been of interest to us.  So I looked on all my recycled/reclaimed/refurbished bookmarked sites as well as craigslist.  bupkis.  I next checked etsy and stumbled upon a local dealer with a reasonably priced credenza.  It needed a little polish and love, but looked great overall, especially the style.  Shoot, a former boss of mine refinishes wood, so I can always ask him for tips.  Saw it Saturday and agreed we'd buy both it and a 1930s dresser, something else I've always wanted!  hashtag Bakelite pulls.

We rented a van to pick up the pieces and met the seller at his local warehouse.  Before shuffling either one, I suggested removing the drawers because that's what you do.  Also, the credenza is made of walnut and that shits heavy.  Removing the buckets one by one, presented us with an unexpected HOLY HELL FUCK those drawers are nasty dirty.  2X that for the inside cubbies!  I didn't see it when we first looked at them because I was focused on ensuring it was a good piece, not how clean it was on the deep inside.  won't do that again.  With each drawer removal,  it got worse.  Dead bugs and dirt and a couple paper plates.  Cheap ass white paper plates stuffed under a drawer (luckily, no pizza grease.)  That's when the seller began to say "Well this is what you get when you buy from a dir...."  er umm.  "From a really strange women."  I just glare at him.  Before I could stop the insanity, he ran to get windex and paper towels.  He started furiously spraying the inside, untreated wood.  face plant.  I was able to stop him thinking I could just do a vacuum and a dust and everything would turn out ok...

That was a few weeks ago.

Today, the 1930s dresser has been dusted and vacuumed and spruced up.  She's safely inside with sweaters and scarves and other goodies tucked in place.

The 1960s Broyhill has been sitting outside, covered, because I can't take the smell.  My god, it's awful.  I spent 7 hours sanding the inside, vacuuming, sanding more, polishing, doing everything I can think of to remove whatever was living in there and what ever stench it left.  Luckily, there has been NOOOOO activity of living bugs.  It's all the dead ones that are almost worst.

We were recommended a guy north of us, who would clean and restrip the entire piece for $750. Gulp.

Another guy would clean with all kinds of stuff and sorta refinish the top (it has some scratches) for $250.

Finally, our next door neighbors have some friends who will likely do the same thing, but hopefully cheaper.  I'm waiting to hear from them.

Paying someone for their time, experience, tools and know-how is so worth it after my 7 hours did squat.  I will forever know that smell - it's ingrained in my sensories and if someone understands how to remove it - the money is well worth it.

_________________________________

As an investment note, the 1960s dresser in about the same condition as ours (sans smell,) usually goes for at least double the price.  So still, it's worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment