Tuesday, November 10, 2015

Post Glendale Humane Society: It's Raining Cats and Dogs!

Last Thursday, my handsome husband and I spoke at an event, to help raise much needed funds for the Glendale Humane Society.  Star, a lady who used to work at the shelter and still volunteers, asked us to share our story.  We became friends, as she was there for us during all our questions, cries, puppy shots, and lifey photos.  She gave Leroy his microchip and when I cried, because he yelped, she smiled and said that's your mama...  Star considers our adoption story one she'll never forget, so I wanted to make her super proud.  It was an honour.

According to the shelter's director Alyce, it costs many thousands per week to maintain the level of care needed for all the animals, which is nothing to scoff at.  So the more we can all do for this fantastic place, the better those little fuzzy faces will be.

The benefit was held at Pirch in Glendale.  Now what I thought Pirch was and what it turned out to be, were two very different notions.  I thought it was a restaurant - because duh, I read food on the invitation and put my money on assumption.  What Pirch ended up being, was an oh my gawd beautiful showroom space with the most fantastic appliances, making two chumps like us who are really into that stuff, quite happy.  We'll be back.






Writing down the massively influential memories occurring over the last 2 years was harder than I thought.  Oh how quickly regret seeps in for not starting sooner.  My first draft ended up like a commercial of greatness, instead of our experience.  I'm sure it's stuff I've already written in here, too.  No matter how I sliced it, the message became toast.  Frustrated, I asked Travis for help, being the brilliant writer that he is.  He returned two options: our story and our highlights.  Since he's a performer, talking points wouldn't bother him.  But when I speak about something personal, I need a reference.  I can't wing my heart because I'll forget the feelings.

Nothing was coming together and it was getting down to the wire.  Trying to wrap up a story that was far from complete in the 10 minutes I had left, wasn't gonna happen.  So Travis suggested he could speak first and summarize, where I would go second and add emotions.  ugh, ok... can I really do this?

Turns out I can't.  Not yet anyway.  We stood there after weatherman Fritz Coleman spoke eloquently and nabbed a whole bunch of auction donations.  He set a high bar that Travis handled with ease, painting a funny & truthful picture.  I secretly wanted to run to the corner yelling at the donors "THANK YOU WE KNOW THEY ARE AMAZING SEND MONEY AND BLANKETS AND COURAGE."  As the mic was handed over, I wasn't totally sure how close it should be to catch the tiny air escaping my lungs.  I managed to ramble something considered words, while I stared at the millers & murmurs, vying to grab their attention away from the hors d'oeuvres. I felt insignificant, anxious and rushed.  I overzealously launched into the few points I had rehearsed, hoping to be charming for the people who were listening.  I'm sure in my mind it was beyond worse than anything the people actually witnessed, but still.  I walked off that stage, carrying an emotional head hung low of lows, feeling like I let myself down, Star down, and the shelter down.  what a drag.

But you know what?  No one was lame.  Not a single one.  The people who spoke to us afterwards, were gracious and kind.  And even though my performance still bothers me, I will remember those who thought enough to say something.  I've learned from it; I think.  It's taken a stupid number of years to elevate my business confidence, so why should this personal nonsense be any easier.  I truck on, practice & persist.  And contrary to the point, I was up there not as the 12 year old who would turn beet red even walking in front of a group more than 2, but a person who had something to say.  I was going to be heard, I was going to make my point, I was going to make a difference for these animals.  That one night doesn't define me forever.  I used to think so, but I know better now.  Doesn't define how I could or could not ever make a difference.  I'll come back as that person who can command a room, even if it takes 1000 times where I walk it.

~~~~~

So I leave you with this:
     The pet psychic we met with, because I KNOW PSYCHIC-SHMYCHIC, BUT I AM FASCINATED BY THE OTHERNATURAL AND HAVE NEVER DONE ONE BEFORE, let us know I worry too much about Leroy (and in life,) he'll love it when we get a second pup, he thinks it's awesome when Travis and he play gladiator, and that he is totally, totally happy.

And we have Glendale Humane to thank for all of it.






No comments:

Post a Comment