Friday, May 15, 2015

Gas Is For Suckers

I broke up with big oil one year and eleventy days ago, and I couldn't breathe happier!

WOW.  I can't believe 376 days have past since I said goodbye to my Toyota 4Runner, a car I never thought I'd part with.  Especially not for a cutesy, tiny Fiat who don't drink no gas!!  But that 180* change has been well worth the salty tears & cold metal hugs.

A fully electric car isn't a perfect machine, nor the perfect solution to our known adversary - pollution.  But it helps and that's a start.  I don't rely on direct oil to make my car go boom.  There's no gas, no pumpers, and it's without a myriad of other doo-hickies & doo-fluids any grease monkey could reference.  I don't worry about the engine failing because there is none.  Oh absolutely, if the battery dies, I can't go anywhere - but that's no different than your gas car.  The major exception being in my case, the dealership handles the replacement AND the bill.  schwing!  Here's a great FAQ resource.


Gas stations?  Oh, you mean the goofy convenience stores that sell snacks and some sort of smelly liquid?

Dead battery?  Oh, you mean what happens to lots of people anyway?

Traffic?  Oh, you mean what you're stuck in when I can zoom zoom down the carpool lane... with all my single self glory!?



THE POSITIVES:  I can ramp up to 60mph in like a few seconds because there's only one gear, it's uber quiet so I can sneak up on people & honk my horn, and I "fill up" at home while I sleep.  I can leave the lights on all night and it won't drain the battery, which I've confirmed is true on multiple occasions.  :/)  Using a public L2 charger only requires a keyfob on that network, where you just swipe, charge and go.   In Los Angeles, because they're so prevalent in high traffic areas, I can be resetting the miles while running errands.  And on average, it costs $0.75 - $1 per day to run around doing businessy business.  I cannot even convey the high joy I feel by owning one, while having virtually no disruption to my routine.

THE GET USED TO's:  Despite knowing my car is zippy, I have to be a more conservative driver on freeways because sustaining a higher MPH causes the battery to drain faster.  And hills, another conduit for a fast buh bye.  You have to plan more in advance and cannot drive super long distances without knowing you'll find an L2 charger.  And similar to gas stations, those prices are set by each public location, so you may pay higher premiums in some areas.  But deal breakers, not even close.


It's pretty rad being part of the super cool club.  I will never go back to a petrol car and have my sights set even higher for our next installment.  Although as Travis always says, we have Tesla dreams on a Fiat budget.  But all in due time, deary...

No comments:

Post a Comment