Thursday, March 13, 2014

Tell You Thursday: Coffee Tastes Like Burning

I do not like coffee.  There. I said it.  And now you know.

Because of this, "I can never be the perfect woman." - Travis

I hate the taste and usually don't like the smell.  I hear the generic jokes each weekday morning about how I shouldn't talk to someone before their morning juice.  I mean there's a whole ceramic mug industry dedicated to informing me "No Coffee, No Talkie."  That's fine for some, just not me.

My dad drove big rig trucks and worked nights until he retired.  He would pack his lunch in a brown paper bag, using the same one for weeks.  For all the years I can remember, both he and the bag would come home smelling like coffee and stale cigarettes.

I would already be up when he'd get home Saturday morning, my blond head running & looking up to ask whether he brought me a present.  Often he had a stuffed plushie toys, or something that fell off a truck, other times he would be holding the lunch sack & company mug.  When the toy & trinkets were absent, for some reason my next choice was always to ask if I could try his coffee.  You know the persistence of a child who wants to try what ever the parents were doing or eating.  One day, he finally let me.

I guess I don't know what I expected, but man was it awful.  It was cold and bitter and taste burnt.  Every time I tried it, cold and bitter and burnt.  I could never figure out why anyone would drink such a thing.  I's not my cup of tea, but at least I understand why coffee will always and forever taste like burning to me.

One Saturday morning he came home and went to the kitchen instead of the dining room, where we usually did our weekly exchange.  I observed him pouring the cold pot of coffee into his mug (that I knew had been sitting there for days) and pop that baby into the microwave!  My young mind didn't know quite what that meant but my grown-up brain does!  What the... my dad would keep the SAME POT OF COFFEE FOR A WEEK by simply reheating in the zapper.  And we're not talking some gourmet junk, not that it would matter, but like Folgers in the red or brown can.

He will always scoff at the fancy coffee that costs multiple dollars and still doesn't think there's anything wrong with a microwaved cup.

blech.







Here are some silly things I found on the internet.  I don't have to love it, but I can still appreciate them.

















 







No comments:

Post a Comment