Friday, December 30, 2016

Christmas Over Easy

I published this journal the other day, sharing years of previous holiday experiences with my parents.  It was important for me to understand, while offering you insight to what it was like.  I don't take for granted childhood emotional neglect (CEN is totally a thing) can be soft compared to others' trauma.  You can't see or touch it and don't often know it's lurking deep down inside... until you finally seek help for why the hurt doesn't go away.  It's still my crucial wound and I see you there, but you're no longer a silent influence.

~~~~~

I couldn't sleep christmas morning, opposite of the reason millions of kiddos can't keep their antsy pants in bed until a decent hour.  ugggghhh, wasn't waiting for "Christmas to start" the worst?  I awoke to the idea of a new boardgame, then the upcoming hosting of our first holiday gathering at the house (or ever.)  It was still early enough to work in an exercise before the fun & anticipation of preparing a big time vegan feastly began.  Since my hair was too cute to go running, I went for a long walk.  I pondered along to christmas notes while the world woke up.  I love being among the quiet in the early hours and secretly hoped I could peek in on others' holiday mornings because I'm a curious human observer.  nothin doin' though.

My stroll took me down a street normally skipped and I ended up meeting a flock of crows, who shuffled alongside me as they pecked a christmas street banquet.  I thought about the previous eve festivities we spent with two people who are the epitome of incredible.  I missed Travis after I could hear his translucent image hovering off to the side, saying we just came across a murder scene {beat/deadpan} because it's a murder of crows. And we'd laugh.

{there were like two dozen more that had just left frame}

I said merry christmas to the few squirrels who dared play chicken with my feet, making me miss Leroy.  I thought about the fact I would actually be spending the entire day with those two boys who mean the most to me.  I realized it's the first christmas in 13 years I wouldn't have to leave Travis (last 3 for Leroy) out of obligation to my parents.

And then I realized I no longer missed the christmas I once knew.

~~~~~

For many years I was caught up in chasing the high out of fear I'd lose even the littlest bits of joy, I couldn't break the habit.  If I didn't watch that movie or start a craft only in the month it was appropriate, or do the things I would always do - the holidays wouldn't be the same.  rubbish.  It hasn't been the same for I can't remember how long, so what was I holding on to?  Finally expressing my holiday intent to the folks back in October (ie not seeing them) shifted nearly everything this go-round.  And while I didn't have a specific outcome when doing so, I realized that's exactly what I needed.   A change.

I was early in putting up lights & decorations, then gave many items previously held onto for artificial nostalgia to charity.  I exchanged hours of watching Christmas Vacation and A Christmas Story (which I love!) for It's a Charlie Brown Christmas (which I usually forget.)  I started little creative projects but wasn't hard on myself for not doing the entire planned list.  We made a proper gingerbread house, complete with landscaping & scarfed snowman.  I skipped cards & presents, but phoned, messaged & saw dear friends to sing them specific squishy notes of cheer.  And I helped a group from work gather essential clothing & food for two local families.  There was other junk, but most importantly I was absorbing the moments around me.

I reflected all this as Travis & I went driving the last few evenings to see lights.  As I watched the neighborhoods of houses through the chilly passenger window, my body wrapped in a blanket & my hands wrapped in a hot mug, I finally said goodbye.  Farewell to the sadness of memories that kept my heart captive.  Adieu to the former traditions that were laced up with the words mum & dad.  I felt each twinkling light cheer me on as if they were regenerating my emotions.  I held Travis' hand as we shared moments of laughter and of silence.


I feel optimistic about this next coming year, not just for the first nine months but especially for the last three.




PS: maybe I'll ask santa for a Total Recall experience so I can start christmas when I want to.  and also pancakes & champagne.

No comments:

Post a Comment