Wednesday, September 30, 2015

Construction Junction: What Now

When you can't afford to complete an entire project as one scheduled job, you start prioritizing.  But with construction, it's not as simple as throwing darts at a carny balloon pop, hoping it reveals the correct task prize.  There's an order to follow or else the midway wins and repeatedly snakes your money.  That's pretty much where we are now.

~~~~~

We've been slowly getting additional bids, yet it still hasn't clicked into place.  Maybe it's seeing the bummer reminder on paper that comes from knowing we can't have it all right now.  And not in a pouty selfish way, in a pouty "I just can't see why this simple plan is becoming so fiscally complicated."

Hardscape, lifeless as all get up but provides an important backbone to the Softscape, the breathing, bizarro variant.  All non-biological elements should be completed first, since those won't change much.  Whilst secondly, the living can then grow and evolve around its permanent environment.  two defined work streams in that order.  The happy path would be to first work exclusively with the solid elements.  I'd jitterbug along the 3x3 cement squares, while trailing my fingers against our new fence, while the sunset dims and flowers gently swaying in time... barf.  And only when all stiff facets have been counted and completed, would I start to plant our future.

But since this junk costs more than we anticipated, I can't walk down the jolly trail.  No skipping, no gossiping song birds, no cliche photography.  Which means it's become a necessity to blend parts of both subdivisions, if we want anything beyond a raked pile of dirt.  I'm struggling with this because I don't care much for unfinished business.  I want it either done or naught, think about it or don't.  Call it a form of brain slug, but as such I become fixated on all thoughts related to what's outstanding.  And only when this imagined checklist is finito, can I purge those translucent bullocks.

~~~~~

I keep swapping looks between our tokens and inventory of wants, hoping those bits will somehow go farther.

No comments:

Post a Comment